Sunday, April 11, 2010

On picking a subject about which to blog


People have always encouraged me to write a blog. Perhaps this is due to my natural enthusiasm. From the Patriots to the Red Sox; from the Celtics to the sport of tennis; from Battlestar Gallactica to the Wire; from my love of Hugh Grant movies to my hatred of the Yankees. I have a lot to say and I usually feel that its worth hearing.
The idea of blogging was first introduced to me seven years ago when I told my friend D how much I liked a show about a sassy mother and her unnaturally mature daughter (a show undoubtedly aimed at teenage girls, not adult men). "You should blog about that," he chortled, "people on the web are interested in ALL sorts of stuff." His implication was that I needed to cast a very wide net to find anyone else who might share any of my interests. Although he suggested blogging, he did so derisively thus shutting the door on what might have been a very interesting documentation of a thirty-something's interest in the Gilmore Girls. Blogging would have to wait. On various other occasions, the idea of blogging has resurfaced: either to express my passionate pro-Boston sports views or my strong, often unsubstantiated, views regarding politics, the news or some movie I've seen. Still, I was never convinced that mine were blog-worthy topics. Today, however, that has changed. I've discovered something; an expertise all mine that I am ready to share with the world: how to understand and navigate the world of the stay-at-home father.
I have had the good fortune of being a stay-at-home father since 2006. I have a thorough understanding of the whole operation. And I am not just talking about the child-care part. I have discovered the proper exercise regimen,the correct TV shows to expose one's child to; I have discovered the proper way to indoctrinate one's child as to what Sports teams to love (and which to hate); I have the answers for the safest ways to ensure that one's child will be hip (and that doesn't mean h aving fashionable clothes, but actually being cool) and will like acceptable music; I have insights regarding coaching one's child's basketball teams (other than deep-breathing although relaxation techniques surely help). There are probably other points of interest that I have currently forgotten that might be of help to the soul embarking on the journey of stay-at-home fathering. Indeed. I have found my forum. I can now blog from a position of power (or at least knowledge based on actual experience). Thus begins my blog: Stories of a stay-at-home father. i think that many of the realizations I've arrived at regarding successful stay-at-home fathering apply to life in general. Thus, my blog may have greater impact than on those lucky few who are stay-at-home fathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment